I recently bought a portable washing machine as I live on a 3rd-floor walkup with unreliable laundry service in the basement. The one snag I hit was that nearly all portable washing machines assume connection to a sink. I didn’t have a sink handy, but I did have a shower head, and I was convinced there was a way to do this.
Quite a bit of internet searching showed other people had done it, but nobody had posted the list of parts you needed to do this. Thanks to two hours in a Home Depot and several helpful employees, here are the things you need to buy from Home Depot:
- Brass Pipe Coupling 1/2 in FIP (LFA-810)
- Garden Hose Adapter 3/4 in MH x 1/2 in MIP (LFA-663)
- Don’t forget the plumber’s tape for these parts!
- A shower head diverter that stays in position (some only divert water when the user is exerting force on it).
- A longer washing machine hose. The one that comes with the machine will probably be too short to reach your shower head, my Home Depot had an 8-ft hose near the supplies for washing machines.
Here’s the finished product
Leave a Reply